ITR Filing Date Extended Again Due to Covid-19 Impact
In another notification, the Income Tax Department has extended the ITR filing date for the assessment year 2019-2020 to November 30, 2020. Earlier, the department has made an extension in the deadline to September 30, 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The IT department also took to twitter to make the announcement. It said, “On further consideration of genuine difficulties being faced by taxpayers due to Covid-19 situation, CBDT further extends the due date or furnishing of belated and revised ITRs for Assessment Year 2019-20 from September 30, 2020 to November 30, 2020.”
Notably, this is the fourth time that the ITR filing date has been extended and revised due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The first revision came till June 30. Later, it was changed to July 31, then September 30 and now November 30 is the final date.
If the deadline hadn’t been extended, taxpayer would have had to pay a late filing fee of Rs. 10,000. In case their total income doesn’t exceed Rs 5 lakh, then the filing fee would be less than Rs. 10,000.
How to File ITR Online?
In case you haven’t filed your ITR, here are simple steps to do that online. Read thoroughly and follow to avoid late fee:
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s Official Website – incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Register yourself for filing the ITR by using permanent account number. Your PAN will serve as the user ID.
- After logging in, click on the filing of ITR option.
- Now, select the AY from the dropdown menu, then with ITR form number 1, and filing type – original or revised return.
- Click on “Prepare and Submit online” option.
- Once the process is over, select a bank account where you can receive the tax refund.
Not Just ITR Filing Date
As per sources, the centre has also extended the last date for furnishing annual returns under the goods and services tax (GST) for FY19. The new date is October 31, 2020.
This announcement was also made through tweet. “The due date for furnishing Annual Return in GSTR-9 and GSTR 9C for 2018-19 has been extended from 30.09.2020 to 31.10.2020.” the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) tweeted.